Sunday night was windy, thundering, with lightening! Monday morning was
still cloudy and breezy but we got up and walked! Good on us!
Lee took the van in for repairs and shopped for salad makings for Tuesdays zone conference lunch. I spent more than an hour on the phone with Sydney getting help with online application for Elder's Visa extension previously mentioned. They don't do extensions often and the process has changed since the last time he did one so the instructions were confusing.
Lee and I both were tired that night....not sure why I was so pooped but I turned my light out by 8:30 after family night. We watched the beautiful conference talk again by Elder Hamula on the Sacrament. We feel connected as he is the former Pacific Area President and we met him last year when he was was in Australia for a mission tour.
Lee took the van in for repairs and shopped for salad makings for Tuesdays zone conference lunch. I spent more than an hour on the phone with Sydney getting help with online application for Elder's Visa extension previously mentioned. They don't do extensions often and the process has changed since the last time he did one so the instructions were confusing.
Lee and I both were tired that night....not sure why I was so pooped but I turned my light out by 8:30 after family night. We watched the beautiful conference talk again by Elder Hamula on the Sacrament. We feel connected as he is the former Pacific Area President and we met him last year when he was was in Australia for a mission tour.
Tuesday we walked a little early so I could get back and have enough time to make salad for 30. I realized I'd forgotten to take the banana, walnut, carrot cakes out of the freezer Monday night, so Lee ran over to the mission home freezer to take them out at 7 am. We had 4 missionary assignment changes on the email....they were delayed from the November arrival to 31 December. Sister Hannan and I left for the Modbury zone conference at 11, and arrived in time to get the oranges and watermelon cut up before the pizza was delivered and we served at noon.
On the way back to Firle, we stopped at the spotlight store (fabric/craft) to look for ribbon, crochet thread, and beads for the bookmark project. Lee picked up bikes once the Whites returned to the office with the silver van since the white van is still in the shop for another week.
That night, Lee got a text from Sister Carter expressing appreciation for the clean front porch, bug-less light fixture, and the Halloween pumpkin on her front step when they got home at days end.
Wednesday we received another notification of a delayed missionary. Several are from the Philippines and Visa grants cause the delay, although some are due to extended language training. We are expecting only seven arrivers now for November.
I did the closing letters for the December leavers Wednesday afternoon and Lee ran errands. Sister Moss is organizing the Christmas missionary fireside and they had a meeting/practice at the Firle building so we saw them for a minute after they finished.
The Christmas DVD project is in full swing. Elder Lunt spent some time on it and will be back Friday. After that they need to work together to fine tune details such as music, timing, fades, etc.
Thursday the Elizabeth zone came to Adelaide to attend the temple. It's always great to be with these kids in the office since they are a bit out of the city and we don't see them as often. I crocheted bookmarks after dinner. We received an email saying another missionary is delayed until December so we are down to 6 arrivers in November.
One of the December leavers asked me if I'd heard about his return travel yet and I checked to find out that it was requested 9 September and so was waaaaaaay over due. I immediately emailed church travel in New Zealand (for non Canada or US) to asked to be advised. It took only minutes to be informed that a mistake had been made and my request has been lost in the shuffle. Whew! Within the hour I had itineraries for all 5 missionaries and it was a tender mercy that it all worked out.
I turn the iPad sound down to almost off at night, but FaceTime rings full on and that's what happened Friday morning at 4:53 am. I never did go back to sleep until we got up to walk at 6:10. Lee took me to the hairdresser (yes the same one) for a 9:00 am appointment. Waiting outside the salon on a bench, we didn't see her come in so at at 9:05 I went in to confirm my appointment. Guess what? She was sick and at the Dr so can I reschedule in the afternoon? They called me later in the day to cancel completely until next week. Grrr!
It was over 90 degrees Friday with a hot afternoon wind. Lee washed President Carters car first thing and also blew out the mission home garage and back patio before the breeze started. The Whites were involved with an emergency move of a set of sister missionaries in the late afternoon after doing flat inspections all morning. The assistants arrived back from Mildura at 4:30 and Sister Carter called from the new Adelaide Costco at 5:00, where they were signing up for a mission membership for when Costco opens 19 November.
I chased key indicator and confirmation reports, and took calls concerning orthodontic retainer repair and an Elder who took too many Advil at once and was feeling weird, among other things. The day was hectic and went by quickly!
Saturday was blessedly relaxed. We cleaned, we face timed, we washed, I sewed, we napped, I cooked. We attended the adult evening session of stake conference from 7-9 pm and the topic was the Hastening of the Work and they announced a Pacific Area special fast to know who to invite to a special ward sacrament meeting 30 November. The meeting will focus totally on the Savior in word and music. I can't wait!
Sunday session of stake conference was packed! Speakers discussed fasting, the Book of Mormon, and three newly called missionaries from the stake leaving to serve in Fiji, Temple square in SLC, and England bore their testimonies.
President Yeow talked about how the world measures success. He also quoted a recent church news
article entitled 'Science behind Supremely Happy People' and shared 10 things happy people do! In case you didn't see the post, here they are: 1. Hang around happy people, 2. TRY to BE happy, 3. Spend more on others so you get the helpers high (time and money?) 4. Have deep conversations and evaluate, 5. Use laughter as medicine, 6. Use the power of good music, 7. Exercise and eat right, 8. Take time away from screen time, 9. Get enough sleep, 10. Happy people are spiritual.
Sister Carter stood up and quoted the scripture in Corinthians about "in the mouth of two or three witnesses" saying that much of her talk had been given but that she was the second witness!
She reviewed the missionary purpose and made all missionaries recite it out loud in unison from where ever we were sitting. She then quoted Thomas S Monson:
It we do not try
We do not do
If we do not do
Why are we here?
President Carter thanked all who serve and support full time missionaries and then gave a cool object lesson. He shared an example of the miracle of member missionary work as expressed by a Sister missionary in her weekly letter to Pres. After reading some scriptures, President challenged us to not let our light be dim or the let the salt lose it's savor with regard to our efforts with missionary work, and to be HAPPY in our efforts.
President Korte spoke from a 2006 talk by Pres Monson on "Lures" that Satan uses and how to avoid 1. Immorality 2. pornography 3. Drugs and alcohol 4. Excessive debt. He suggested we use FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH pamphlets as guidance for all ages to recognize and resist the "lures." Great talk! Great meetings! Great weekend!
To top off the beautiful, spiritual, uplifting, inspiring, weekend was the wonderful missionary fireside Sunday night. Our dear friends and members of 2 1/2 months, Sammie, Taylor, and Max were invited to bear their testimonies and share their conversion stories. All three were darling and did a fabulous job! I told them afterward I was so proud of them, just like a mama and they all laughed and said, " Like family!" Their sincere, heartfelt, warm, sweet, tender, humble testimonies are beautiful!
We do not do
If we do not do
Why are we here?
President Carter thanked all who serve and support full time missionaries and then gave a cool object lesson. He shared an example of the miracle of member missionary work as expressed by a Sister missionary in her weekly letter to Pres. After reading some scriptures, President challenged us to not let our light be dim or the let the salt lose it's savor with regard to our efforts with missionary work, and to be HAPPY in our efforts.
President Korte spoke from a 2006 talk by Pres Monson on "Lures" that Satan uses and how to avoid 1. Immorality 2. pornography 3. Drugs and alcohol 4. Excessive debt. He suggested we use FOR THE STRENGTH OF YOUTH pamphlets as guidance for all ages to recognize and resist the "lures." Great talk! Great meetings! Great weekend!
To top off the beautiful, spiritual, uplifting, inspiring, weekend was the wonderful missionary fireside Sunday night. Our dear friends and members of 2 1/2 months, Sammie, Taylor, and Max were invited to bear their testimonies and share their conversion stories. All three were darling and did a fabulous job! I told them afterward I was so proud of them, just like a mama and they all laughed and said, " Like family!" Their sincere, heartfelt, warm, sweet, tender, humble testimonies are beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment