Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Time is Flying.

The days fly by, as do the weeks. We are beginning our sixth month of service already!

The past week, Sister Salazar and I spent many hours gathering, sorting, and shuffling pictures of missionaries, zones, baptisms, p-day antics, and local scenery from 2013 into a large file on the computer. Then we dropped the 760 pictures into a movie maker program, and put them to music, setting and resetting durations, animations, menu and title text, etc and reshuffling some more. We are almost ready to burn 140 DVDs as a Christmas gift for everyone in the mission.

Sister Salazar has such patience with the process. She loves to match music lyrics with particular pictures so she has spent more time working in front of the computer on the project. I break away for other tasks as transfer week is coming up, but I frequently check on her progress.

We designed, and printed, and trimmed to size the front and back covers for the cases with help from Elder and Sister Goodrich, and we designed and printed DVD labels. Poor Lee chased after cases, labels, DVDs, colored paper, CDs and ink.

We had help from several Elders with movie making experience. Elders K. Taylor, Barlow, and J. Taylor demonstrated with patience, but we are now to the point that time constraints are more important than knowing how to do it ourselves. Elder Brough made music suggestions and Elder Taufa was still working on animations when we left the office tonight. THANK YOU ELDERS!

Thursday we left the office early so I could get my hair done. I asked the hairdresser to trim it just a teeny bit shorter than she did 7 weeks ago, and I came away feeling scalped. I have difficulty understanding Jo since English is her second language but it's obvious she doesn't understand me either. My dad always said the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is about 3 weeks. So I'll be fine in 3 weeks.

We work hard to support our missionaries and President and Sister Carter, whatever the needs. We are tired every night, and I thought it was just us, but we realize after talking with others in the office, that they are beat at the end of the day too! I guess we really ARE 'seniors.' 
I spent all day Saturday at the sewing machine working on Christmas projects and I have more to do! Sunday was quiet with just the regular block of church meetings.

The weather has been very typical for spring; rainy days, hot sunny days, cloudy humid days, thunder, wind, and sometimes all in the same day. We are planning a barbecue menu for Boxing Day with temperatures expected to be 37 Celsius or about 100 degrees. It's hard to wrap your head around the idea of a HOT Christmas, huh? Us too. Especially when Utah is experiencing record snowfall and cold temperatures. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

I don't know if I mentioned that we received 12 new cars in the mission (two are vans) and we are only giving up 4 according to the previously mentioned formula, so we netted 8. As you know Lee is over vehicles and although they arrived already licensed, he and Elder Smith installed bike racks on each, and licensed them in person at the DMV equivalent. Lee also provides each car with a first aid kit, owners manual, and accident reports. He filled them with fuel, one after another in a single morning at the same gas station since the motor pass cards hadn't arrived yet. Imagine the attendant's thought process as he sees the same guy come in 8 times with 8 different cars.

The location of every car in the mission is recorded and tracked by companionship. For example, the Firle area Elders drive lic #ABC123. Mileage, in kilometers, is recorded daily and reported to Lee monthly, which he reports monthly to Sydney, the Pacific area headquarters.

There is a huge whiteboard in President Carter's office with the zones and areas of the mission, as well as the missionaries serving there, what car they are driving (if any) zone and district leaders, who can or cannot drive etc. I'll send a picture of the board later as the President and assistants are working on transfers and the board is covered.

We started walking again after a period of laziness and we sure can feel it! The weather was perfect today and yesterday morning though....cloudy and 54 with a slight breeze. We are well and happy. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment