Friday, February 28, 2014

Changes, Teaching and Stake Goals.

Big changes are coming in the mission since one of the assistants is going home this transfer. President Carter and the assistants have already been conferring for hours in the office and it's not even the week before transfers yet! 

We know 4 visa waiters (US and Canada ) plus 6 others are coming FOR SURE from NZ and Australia. The Fiji Elder has been temporarily assigned as he is waiting for a visa and there are a couple of US missionaries hoping their visas come through, one from Utah and one from Oahu. We may not know until the last minute but they are in the MTC getting ready. We also have a Korean Elder and Mongolian Elder in the pipeline. These are exciting times in the WORK OF SALVATION!

Several weeks ago we were asked to teach an English class and just this Sunday saw a brief training DVD. The church has developed a conversational method called the Daily Dose English Program and uses a facilitator (us) in a language huddle. We are just learning of course, but at first glance, it looks really fun. I've mentioned before that Adelaide, and Australia as a whole, is a huge melting pot of nationalities. We'll be teaching one evening a week and during Sunday School on Sunday morning. I can't imagine anything as isolating as being unable to communicate or understand what is being said in church meetings.

It was wonderful to be back at church after missing last week. Sunday was ward conference so the Bishop and Stake President spoke in Sacrament meeting on the stake goals for the year. The three areas of focus are 1. Becoming a Disciple of Christ with associated actions 2. Love and Serve Others with associated actions and 3. Invite All to Come Unto Christ with associated actions and these topics were discussed by the stake Presidency in the joint 3rd hour meeting. It was very nicely done.

Lee was a good nurse, but I think he is ready to 'retire' from that job and I don't blame him one bit. He was as glad as I was for recovery!

We mentioned in our highs and lows the nice dinner at the beach with Sister Salazar Sat night. Her sister and brother in law were visiting while I was down and out last week so by the time she offered to bring me dinner, I was on the mend and said no thanks, let's go out together Saturday night instead. It was beautiful on the ocean and I loved the Thai food.

We learned this week of the unexpected passing of our son in law Cory's uncle and send our condolences to the family.

That's all for now.....more next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment