On Monday, Lee helped the Whites move the Mt. Barker Elders to a
different flat in the neighboring area of Nairne. They took both vans
and both trailers and dodged rain showers to accomplish the task. After
being out of the office the previous Thursday and Friday, and then a large
part of Monday also, Lee felt really behind with piles on his desk etc.
We started walking seriously again this week. We tried to get back on the wagon last week, but we are just too pooped during transfers to get up early enough to walk and be in the office early too. We managed to go between showers so it was 66 degrees and damp. We are glad to be on track again.
The office was 'Monday' busy as usual.....zone leaders collect mail and supplies, and the phone rings a lot. I love it busy although I didn't get everything completed that I'd hoped to. I almost finished emailing family letters w/ pictures of the new missionaries. Plan to do congrats letters to new trainers, district and zone leaders, and their parents on Tuesday.
We started walking seriously again this week. We tried to get back on the wagon last week, but we are just too pooped during transfers to get up early enough to walk and be in the office early too. We managed to go between showers so it was 66 degrees and damp. We are glad to be on track again.
The office was 'Monday' busy as usual.....zone leaders collect mail and supplies, and the phone rings a lot. I love it busy although I didn't get everything completed that I'd hoped to. I almost finished emailing family letters w/ pictures of the new missionaries. Plan to do congrats letters to new trainers, district and zone leaders, and their parents on Tuesday.
Sister Salazar with Elders Vanisi, Cook, Miller, Pitama, Nay and Sexton
(all leaders and great missionaries!)
We received word that our huge Utah ward split and the Castlewood development is now it's own new ward. We went from being the largest to the smallest ward in the stake. The Ivory development along with the 3 streets off 3600 West will remain the Riverton 19th ward. It's always hard to separate from established friends, but I think change and it's challenges are good. We express our gratitude and thanks to Bishop Murray, Brother Lloyd and Brother Berquist and to their families for their service in the Bishopric these past 5 1/2 years.
Tuesday I finished letters, updated and printed the final final mission telephone list and laminated and distributed them. Sisters Salazar and Goodrich did another zone conference lunch in Marion so were gone from 10:45-2:30. Lee was in and out with mail, bikes, repair shop, phone, etc, and the Whites were in the office most of the day, as was Elder Goodrich.
Firle zone leaders transported Elders to the office for interviews and the zone leaders worked on a baptismal program while waiting. I helped with the office printers and sent them on their way when they finished.
We were beat when we got home and I went straight to the bathroom to wash my hands. After I turned on the hot water, I stepped away from the sink to grab my washcloth, and Lee turned the cold water on also. That's when the whole center spout blew off and water spewed clear to the high ceiling and drenched everything within it's reach! It took a couple of seconds to realize that all we had to so was turn off the hot and cold water, but by then, the counter top and floor were soaked! Fun ending to a long day! We mopped high and low with towels to clean up the mess.
Wednesday was Firle Zone meeting held in the adjacent church building, so we see missionaries in the office just before and after. President went to the new Elizabeth zone for specialized training and Sisters Goodrich and Salazar did lunch for them at the Craigmore building. I worked on entering confirmation records, updating the mini phone list, new member letters, updating leaver/arrivers list from IMOS (the church missionary computer program), answering emails, sending our taxes, answering phones, and more.
Lee stepped on a rock, rolled his ankle, and fell to the pavement Wednesday morning as we were walking in the dark. He scraped an elbow and he said since that everything hurts. Wednesday night was English class and we had the 5 regular attenders. They are doing well. I'll send a picture soon.
Lee was sore and stiff so we skipped walking Thursday. Lee fueled, washed and vacuumed the white van since Carter's are driving it to Mildura on the weekend for a conference. The whole mission presidency and the temple president and their wives are attending as well. The silver van they would normally drive has a rock chip in the front windshield which has now cracked further and is scheduled for repair next week.
We were invited to dinner with Sister Salazar to Harry and Eila's ( pronounced A la) from the Firle ward for dinner Thursday night. It was the full meal deal, roasted lamb, potatoes and gravy, green beans, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, salad, bread, and a Finnish bread with egg spread, and trifle for dessert. Harry loves family history and we have been doing his family names since we arrived in Adelaide as has Sister Salazar, and dinner was their way of thanking us before her departure March 27th.
I marvel at these two people. Harry worked for over 50 years in the boxite mines (raw material for making aluminum, pronounced al u men ee um in Australia) and they lived in the beautiful, remote, tropical area of north east Australia, which they loved! They have two adult children, the son lives near Adelaide and the daughter lives in Lehi Utah!
Harry is from Wales and Eila is from Finland. Harry was diagnosed with terminal cancer two years ago and explained that he is participating in a double blind drug trial. They have had an interesting, amazing life and continue to serve and bless many while in the midst of very difficult trials.
We had one day of 86 degrees this week, some sprinkles another day, some clouds with sun breaks other days, and some sunny and moderate days that I love. We can sure tell it's the end of summer and headed for winter. We'll set our clocks back in a couple of weeks which will make it lighter at 6:30am to walk. That is a tender mercy!
Friday was normal in the office and the senior missionaries were all there most of the day. Carter's left for Mildura at noon and we attended the temple at 5:15pm. We now recognize all of the temple workers and it's small enough in size and attendance that the presidency member on duty and his wife greet you coming and leaving with a typical Australian hug or handshake. The sister at each post hugs me too, so by the time I get into the women's dressing room, I've been hugged at least 3-4 times.
Saturday was the MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR. Look for details in another post.
Sunday after the church block of meetings, we had all the seniors for lunch at the request of Elder Brough, who is back in Australia on a mission tour with his parents after going home 10 days ago. We served pulled chicken barbecue sandwiches and bought ice cream, Sister Salazar brought chips, buns and contributed chicken, Sister Goodrich made a salad, cookies, and Rice Krispie treats, and Sister White made a fruit bowl and grapes. It was great fun to meet Nancy and Don and we had an enjoyable chat with lunch, and then pictures.
Seniors with Elder Brough
Elder Brough and his parents



No comments:
Post a Comment