Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Dog Bite, Hahndorf and Root Beer Floats (wk ending 25 May 2014).

The moment I opened my eyes Monday morning, there started a torrential down pour outside! It was STILL raining by the time we were ready to leave for the office.

Elder White shared a spiritual thought on the Light of Christ and the Holy Ghost.

The office was busy with p-day, President was in his office which is unusual for week 4,  and the assistants were there except when they took Lee for a return teaching appointment with the investigator from Saturday. She has been in Australia for 10 years and was a specialized Dr after 12 years of training in her homeland. Here she works part time as a translator and doesn't have money necessary to take required tests to qualify to practice in Australia. She loved stake conference but thought she should understand every single thing that was said and felt overwhelmed a bit after the meeting because of course, she didn't understand everything that was said. She is eager to learn and finds great comfort in the things she has been taught so far.

The Grays dropped by the office Monday morning on the way out of town to Mildura and Carter's came over to see them off. President Carter gave them each a blessing and they seemed very excited to get started on their mission.

Lee gave a driving lesson, and before that, helped Elder White haul and set up bed frames and mattresses after teaching in the morning as mentioned above. I spent time going back and forth with the Sydney church office by email fine tuning President Carter's business card order. I sent out the regular Monday morning questions to the missionaries from President Carter. I am the contact person for missionaries to order kangaroo skin scripture covers from Queensland, so I spent some time Monday doing that. I had several calls that day so I guess someone sent out a memo? (Just kidding)

Hoping to have at least 20 prepaid orders for the mission logo jumper (hooded sweatshirt), I sent out an email Monday stating that May 26th was the last day to pay. I was worried we might have trouble making it to 20 but I think we are up to 29!

Tuesday, President and Sister Carter had interviews with the Marion District at the Marion building about 30 minutes from the office. No excitement in the office all day. We did a few last minute preparations for the two new missionaries coming mid transfer. Sister Goodrich and I planned the transfer arriver and leaver dinners as well as specialized training lunch menu which Sister Carter whole heartedly thanked us for doing and approved.

Let me explain the meeting/training rotation. The first month of the quarter missionaries have an all day specialized training by President Carter for each of the 7 individual zones (which takes 7 days of the month alone, not counting travel time) the second month is an all day zone conference for individual zones, then the third month is personal interviews by district with each individual missionary, then it starts all over again the next month. Carters travel to do the specialized training and zone conferences in Alice Springs, Mildura, and Darwin as well. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I marvel at the Carter's energy and stamina and say again, I do not know how they do it physically, mentally, or spiritually! THEY ARE AMAZING!

Wednesday, Lee went teaching with the assistants again at 9:00 am. Then he and the assistants left for the airport after the Firle District meeting ended at 12:15. Two new missionaries arrived mid transfer from the language training at the New Zealand MTC so after Lee gave them lunch at the airport, we oriented as usual Elder Tonga from Tonga and Sister Rongomate from Tahiti. Sister Goodrich gave them their bedding and did the housing spiel since the Whites are in Mildura and Berri, Lee did the working with children applications and gave them their bikes, helmets, lights, locks, I did passports and visas, and then the assistants took over and President did interviews.

I don't think I ever explained the 'working with children' clearance that is required by each state in Australia for every missionary. All ward members are required to get them as well. The forms require the past 10 years residency information, 100 points of identification, and background information to allow one to work with or around children. After  transfers, anyone who moved to another state like Darwin and Alice Springs in the Northern Territory, or Mildura in Victoria, or come to Adelaide South Australia from one of the far areas has to apply for that state's 'Working with children' clearance. Each state has an application fee and it costs 41.00 to process each application in South Australia.

In attendance at English class Wednesday night was Christina and Danny, Emily and Kevin, Ali, and two new Chinese people with a 6 yr old daughter. We covered how to get something fixed and reviewed how to rent an apartment. It was great and we stayed after for the missionary lesson with Danny and Christina. They invited the assistants to teach again Sunday evening in their home.

Thursday was another mild day, but beginning to cloud up with showers in the forecast. After lunch, Lee and I drove one hour to Murray Bridge to visit with a missionary sister who was bitten by a less active members dog as they were invited into the yard about three weeks ago. The dog was large and the owner small and it was difficult to make it let go of the front ankle. We were sent to document the situation and ascertain the long term prognosis. We got statements from both sisters as to what happened, where, what time etc and we suggested she have it checked by the Dr again after seeing the bite site, which she did the same day.

President asked Lee to find out if the owner has insurance and what action has been taken, if any about the dog. No one involved reported the incident but a ward member that heard about it did. We don't know the laws in Australia concerning the matter but this is a sad situation all the way around.

We got back to the office about 4 and worked until 5pm as usual and arrived home just after the Whites pulled in from their trip to get a missionary flat in Berri, and check out Mildura on the way back. They looked tired but were pleased with the week's efforts and travel. I noticed a dull ache starting in the right of my head by then and was anxious to lay down so we didn't chat long at their door, which is 10 feet from our garage door. Anyway, by 9:00 pm that night the headache was raging, so Lee gave me a blessing and I slept the night through. I never do that! I am so thankful for the healing power of the Priesthood.
Friday Lee was busy getting mail, and switching cars in the morning and I booked September travel for the Carters and Raesides going to Kangaroo Island. The June calendar is complete so I can book travel for those trips next week and print the calendar to hand out at transfers. It's unbelievable how quickly the 6 weeks roll around. We found out that Sister Baker, the senior missionary who is coming to work in the office has her visa, so will arrive June 11 as planned. Goodrichs will train her and then replace the Kalles senior couple who are going home in Alice Springs unless President decides on a different plan.

Friday afternoon we left early to go to the Dr to renew our scripts (prescriptions) as we could only bring one years worth of medications into the country. We both decided to get flu shots while we were there. Then we attended the temple and finally saw the newest version and loved it! As I was leaving I met Sister Carter in the dressing room ready for the later session.

Saturday was another beautiful day. After face time calls to kids, my dad, and grocery shopping, we went to Hahndorf, a small German community approximately 30 minutes south, similar to Park City or Cannon Beach. There were shops, restaurants, galleries, etc on a beautiful tree lined street on a fabulous fall day. We loved the aboriginal art gallery and just happened to see one of the artists walk through. The paintings are amazing....the ones we particularly like are dot paintings and we'll end up taking a piece home I'm sure. We had a little rest and then talked to more kids before going out to dinner. We were thrilled to find cans of A&W root beer in Hahndorf (for 3.00 each!!) so I had my birthday root beer float for dessert and it was all I dreamed it would be!
Sunday church was lovely as always...the Sacrament meeting topic was the Priesthood and speakers on different aspects were a young men's Priesthood holder, a young married sister, and a young married Priesthood holder. We had Christina and Danny in English class and learned about asking for directions and reviewed how to get something fixed. Lee invited them over for root beer floats Monday night at 7:00 pm for my birthday dessert. She insisted on bringing the ice cream.

Lee went teaching with the assistants at 4:00 Sunday while I made chocolate birthday cake and snickerdoodle cookies to share with missionaries who come into the office Monday for pday. (I used Sister Finau's frosting recipe which is: 225 g milk chocolate bar and 1/2 dark chocolate bar melted in the microwave and add small bottle of thick cream and stir. Totally yum!)

For FHE Sunday night, we watched a Brad Wilcox 2009 BYU Education Week video talk on 
2 Nephi 25:23. It was long but very well worth our time.

My new favorite breakfast.  Its $2.10 per container at the store.


Australian money:


Next week is transfer preparation already. Until next time......

No comments:

Post a Comment