Sunday, July 13, 2014

Down Pours, Mint Brownies and a Massage (wk ending 6 July 2014).

It's hard missing family events.......For the first time EVER we were separated from Kacey as she celebrated her 3 July birthday. Shelby and Kyle celebrate their 15th wedding anniversary and Kacey and Dave their 12th during July also. Happy day to everyone!

Monday was still cold and wet. Elder White gave the spiritual thought on 13 ways to improve your temple attendance. Afterward, Lee and Elder White spent the day hauling accumulated junk and broken items to the dumpster from flats some distance from the office. It took all day and no one had to rock them to sleep that night! It was pday and I shared the leftover chocolate cake with heavenly frosting. It's always a hit! There was some drama over the weekend, but by Monday President and Sister Carter had it all ironed out. They are amazing! We shake our heads and marvel at how they do all they do and still keep smiling. Have I mentioned that they are amazing??!!

We came home Monday night cold and tired so a leftover bowl of homemade chili with sour dough bread and butter hit the spot. For family home evening we listened to Elder Bednar's conference talk about the friend that took his new truck to cut wood and became stuck in the snow. After he filled the truck with freshly cut wood and tried one more time to get unstuck, he drove out easily and realized IT WAS THE LOAD. Great talk!  You can listen to it here.

Tuesday we did the Modbury zone specialized training lunch for 18. Lee drove us and it's the final zone for this round. It was freezing in the building and we had lunch ready a good 45 minutes before we served! Brrrrrrrrrr. Next up is zone training for which we will provide lunches, but that doesn't start until after transfers so there is a 3 week respite. When we arrived back in the office it was hectic and we were glad when 5:00 rolled around!

Sister Carter getting ready to dart across the parking lot in a total downpour.

Wednesday I installed some updates which gave me computer grief AGAIN. I called the SLC help desk and was on the phone for hours. Finally did get it ironed out and working fine. That night was English class and only Danny and Christina attended where the new topic was Family Night and we reviewed Christmas.

Afterward Elders, Bingham, Fepulea'i, and Kalomtak joined us to teach Danny about the Law of Chastity. The 5 of us sang 'I Am A Child Of God' to illustrate using music to chase inappropriate thoughts from our mind. Danny said he always feels peaceful when we sing hymns. Christina asked Lee to give her a Priesthood blessing for her upcoming Drivers test. It was a wonderful lesson and blessing. We invited them to go with us to the missionary fireside Sunday night.

Thursday....I made a new mint brownie recipe knowing that all the zone leaders would be in the office for the first Thursday leadership meeting. One of the Elders and his companion came back during the meeting with a horrible headache and went to the assistants office to lay down. I offered my essential oils headache blend and he was able to return MLC within a few minutes after thanking me profusely.

Friday was quiet as usual, but rainy and wet! The Elder called back to ask where I bought the oils and how much? I explained that I brought them from the States but I would google it and see if it was available in Australia. I called him back say that I found some and sent my bottle with the assistants when they met for trade offs Saturday morning.

Lee went with the assistants to teach Sammie and Max again either Thursday or Friday.

Friday night Elder Kalomtak from Vanuatu had special permission to do the temple work for his grand and great grand parents before he leaves the mission Monday. They invited us to go to with them Friday night so we took Sister Baker with us and witnessed the baptisms. President Carter called Elder Bingham to approve them doing all of the temple ordinances for these relatives while they were there and I was disappointed we were unable to stay. They asked us to make calls to cancel their appointments for the evening.

Saturday morning the assistants called for Lee to teach at Sammie and Max's at 10. It's going very well with Max and we invited them, along with Taylor, Christina and Danny, and the assistants for dinner at our house Sunday before the missionary fireside at 7pm. I made beef noodle and broccoli cheese soups with artisan breads for 11 people.

Lee went grocery shopping as usual after returning from the lesson and by then, the stores were really crowded and picked over. We talked to the family by face time, all getting ready to celebrate the 4th of July as per our usual family traditions. We spoke with Logan and his family, who are vacationing in San Diego for the week.

I did meal prep and made the dessert for Sunday during the afternoon. The gas heater pilot light went out, which happens, but Lee couldn't get it started again. We called the landlord and he is sending someone Monday for service. We had an electric space heater for the bedroom and it worked surprisingly well. Lee got the pilot light on Sunday morning. We are still going to let the service man take a look as per Elder White.

Lovely fast and testimony meeting Sunday morning, which Sammie, Max, and Taylor attended along with English class afterward, where we talked about SCHOOL and reviewed FAMILY NIGHT.

We had 11 for dinner Sunday night before the fireside. I hadn't made the broccoli cheese soup before, but that was the voted favorite over beef noodle. The hot sourdough bread was enjoyed by all and Christina brought a cold rock Tim Tam ice cream cake for dessert, along with my brownies and ice cream. Lee found some beautiful strawberries at the store Saturday so we had those also. There was a lot of slurping going on at dinner so I assumed they liked the soups :-) After dinner, Max offered to do a massage on Lee neck and shoulder...I'm so glad I declined. Max doesn't know his own strength, even after Lee mentioned to go easier. Elder Bingham LOVED his brief neck massage.



The Firle stake missionary fireside was the musical presentation with narration and video of the WOMEN AT THE WELL. There was a good crowd and we walked over to the church after dinner. I don't know how much our Chinese friends understood because of the language barrier, but hopefully they felt the spirit and were uplifted. We came home tired but happy. Great ending to a long week!

No comments:

Post a Comment