Monday the sheet rocker called at 7:40 am to ask if he could come that
morning to patch the hole in the wall from the old heater. He was on
time at 8:45 and he called Lee to lock up when he finished two hours
later. It was typical hectic Monday except Elder Wairepo brought Oreo
truffles as a treat. They are yummy and I asked him NOT to bring them
any more. They are TOO yummy! You can find the recipe online at allrecipes.com and search Oreo truffles.
Lee got the Carters and the Lees at the airport from Alice Springs at 2:50pm. We had a call to the office about a noisy basketball game in the car park between the mission home and the mission office and one from the recently demolished home owner from behind the office who called to complain about tree branches over hanging on her property. I talked to Sydney, NSW and Perth, WA, several missionaries, a dental office, and a partridge in a pear tree. Just kidding.
Tuesday I finished editing and printed the Best Practices to hand out at transfers..remember these inspiring experiences are taken from missionaries weekly letters to President. Lee left early in the morning to pick up a missionary for a dental appointment and then took them back to their flat afterward since they are on bikes. The drywall guy came back and there was sanding dust all over every surface in the entire flat when he left. Yuck!
President and the assistants were in the office all day Tuesday preparing for transfers, when he wasn't doing interviews. Whites and Goodrichs have been shopping and fixing the new flat for the Hannans who arrive Friday night from the New Zealand MTC.
Wednesday we shredded old missionary files and I finally got the ok for the September calendar to be printed since it's finalized. I swear, just talking about the Carter's schedule makes me tired! I truly couldn't physically DO all that they do! The three adult Carter daughters are coming to Australia for 10 days in October without husbands or kids. That will be wonderful for Sister Carter!
For English class we had Danny as usual, but Christina had to work, Leo was back and brought his friend Harry, and a Korean lady named Kate attended for the first time. At the very end, Ali stuck his head in. He moved 1 1/2 hr away a few months ago, but he said he wanted to come since he hadn't seen us for a very long time.
Sammie invited us for dinner Wednesday night for Max's birthday and we had to decline because of English class. We rescheduled for Saturday night instead since we couldn't do it Friday as we were to meet the Hannans at the airport at 8:10 PM.
Thursday I requested return travel for the largest leaver group since I've been here. We have 7 Elders and 7 Sisters going home 19 Nov. WOW, that's a huge loss of dedicated, obedient, awesome missionaries!
It was a beautiful spring day Friday with a high of 68 F. The assistants finished their article for the newsletter and after lunch I printed it and then assembled, stapled, and sorted the Zion Rescue, Best Practices, and calendar packet by zones. The morning was spent booking travel for the transfers, and then making charts for Lee telling him who is going or coming and when. Monday will be transferred people coming in, Wednesday will be transferred people going out as well as the leavers leaving, plus arrivers come in Wednesday too. Thursday we have a sister coming South and one going north to replace her. Lee keeps it all straight and has never lost a missionary yet!
We met the new senior couple at the airport Friday night. The Hannans are warm and friendly and willing to do whatever is needed. They are from Perth, Western Australia but were born and raised in Whyalla, which is in our mission, approximately 5 hours away. We took them by the office to get their car that had been shipped from Perth while they attended the MTC in New Zealand, which had arrived Friday morning. Their flat is quite near the mission office and they took the weekend to get settled in.
Saturday morning after talking to the family, Lee stocked the silver van with snacks and drinks for the Carter's trip to Whyalla and parked it out front of the mission home ready to go. We went to Central market in downtown Adelaide and then stopped at Kmart on the way home. In the afternoon after a nap, I cooked mince for arriver dinner lasagna and made pound cake for leaver dessert. I baked my special recipe of banana bread and took a loaf as a thank you to the Stabler's and returned her tray. While things were baking, I hemmed Elder Bingham suit pants and finished laundry.
We also took a loaf of banana bread to Sammie, Max, and Taylor's for dinner at 6:00 pm. They had an electric skillet with water and tomato sauce boiling in the middle of the table and then added very thinly shaved meats such as beef, chicken, and lamb, shrimp, as well as sliced potatoes, fish balls that were like tofu, only fishy, noodles, and Chinese mushrooms, which get strained, then served on top of the thick sesame sauce in the bottom of your bowl with chopped fresh coriander. Everyone used chopsticks but me.....I would starve to death! We very much enjoyed the experience with Elders Fepulea'i and Bingham and had lots of fun with Max, Sammie, and Taylor. For dessert we had left over birthday cake from Max turning 31 on 20 Aug.
Lee got the Carters and the Lees at the airport from Alice Springs at 2:50pm. We had a call to the office about a noisy basketball game in the car park between the mission home and the mission office and one from the recently demolished home owner from behind the office who called to complain about tree branches over hanging on her property. I talked to Sydney, NSW and Perth, WA, several missionaries, a dental office, and a partridge in a pear tree. Just kidding.
Tuesday I finished editing and printed the Best Practices to hand out at transfers..remember these inspiring experiences are taken from missionaries weekly letters to President. Lee left early in the morning to pick up a missionary for a dental appointment and then took them back to their flat afterward since they are on bikes. The drywall guy came back and there was sanding dust all over every surface in the entire flat when he left. Yuck!
President and the assistants were in the office all day Tuesday preparing for transfers, when he wasn't doing interviews. Whites and Goodrichs have been shopping and fixing the new flat for the Hannans who arrive Friday night from the New Zealand MTC.
Wednesday we shredded old missionary files and I finally got the ok for the September calendar to be printed since it's finalized. I swear, just talking about the Carter's schedule makes me tired! I truly couldn't physically DO all that they do! The three adult Carter daughters are coming to Australia for 10 days in October without husbands or kids. That will be wonderful for Sister Carter!
For English class we had Danny as usual, but Christina had to work, Leo was back and brought his friend Harry, and a Korean lady named Kate attended for the first time. At the very end, Ali stuck his head in. He moved 1 1/2 hr away a few months ago, but he said he wanted to come since he hadn't seen us for a very long time.
Sammie invited us for dinner Wednesday night for Max's birthday and we had to decline because of English class. We rescheduled for Saturday night instead since we couldn't do it Friday as we were to meet the Hannans at the airport at 8:10 PM.
Thursday I requested return travel for the largest leaver group since I've been here. We have 7 Elders and 7 Sisters going home 19 Nov. WOW, that's a huge loss of dedicated, obedient, awesome missionaries!
It was a beautiful spring day Friday with a high of 68 F. The assistants finished their article for the newsletter and after lunch I printed it and then assembled, stapled, and sorted the Zion Rescue, Best Practices, and calendar packet by zones. The morning was spent booking travel for the transfers, and then making charts for Lee telling him who is going or coming and when. Monday will be transferred people coming in, Wednesday will be transferred people going out as well as the leavers leaving, plus arrivers come in Wednesday too. Thursday we have a sister coming South and one going north to replace her. Lee keeps it all straight and has never lost a missionary yet!
We met the new senior couple at the airport Friday night. The Hannans are warm and friendly and willing to do whatever is needed. They are from Perth, Western Australia but were born and raised in Whyalla, which is in our mission, approximately 5 hours away. We took them by the office to get their car that had been shipped from Perth while they attended the MTC in New Zealand, which had arrived Friday morning. Their flat is quite near the mission office and they took the weekend to get settled in.
Saturday morning after talking to the family, Lee stocked the silver van with snacks and drinks for the Carter's trip to Whyalla and parked it out front of the mission home ready to go. We went to Central market in downtown Adelaide and then stopped at Kmart on the way home. In the afternoon after a nap, I cooked mince for arriver dinner lasagna and made pound cake for leaver dessert. I baked my special recipe of banana bread and took a loaf as a thank you to the Stabler's and returned her tray. While things were baking, I hemmed Elder Bingham suit pants and finished laundry.
We also took a loaf of banana bread to Sammie, Max, and Taylor's for dinner at 6:00 pm. They had an electric skillet with water and tomato sauce boiling in the middle of the table and then added very thinly shaved meats such as beef, chicken, and lamb, shrimp, as well as sliced potatoes, fish balls that were like tofu, only fishy, noodles, and Chinese mushrooms, which get strained, then served on top of the thick sesame sauce in the bottom of your bowl with chopped fresh coriander. Everyone used chopsticks but me.....I would starve to death! We very much enjoyed the experience with Elders Fepulea'i and Bingham and had lots of fun with Max, Sammie, and Taylor. For dessert we had left over birthday cake from Max turning 31 on 20 Aug.
The Elders gave a message from Preach my Gospel on the Priesthood, which Max received on Sunday the 24th. We got a call after we arrived home Sat night and had already changed clothes..the assistants had stopped for fuel and the place wouldn't accept motor pass cards nor would they take the credit card number over the phone. Lee dressed and ran down to rescue them. All in a days work!
I forgot to mention in my post last week that when Max stood to bear his testimony after the baptism, he said he was going to speak in chinglish, get it? Chinese and English? I smiled about that comment all week!
I printed the ARTICLES OF FAITH and THE LIVING CHRIST and framed them for Sammie, Max, and Taylor as belated baptism gifts and they were so appreciative and humble. The Elders had a canvas picture made for a baptism gift which was way cool and we saw for the first time at dinner Saturday.
Sunday was a beautiful Sabbath day with bright sunshine. We even had the doors open a bit Saturday and Sunday, although it's still too cool to have them open long. Sacrament meeting speakers were Sister Jill Scott, Sister Richards, and Brother Sturt and all talked on the importance of the family. All three talks were really excellent!
For English class, attendees were Sammie and Max, (Taylor went to the single adult Sunday school Class taught by Lou and Petra), Leo, Harry, a new girl Beth, and Danny and Christina and we discussed ATTENDING CHURCH and reviewed INVITING SOMEONE TO YOUR HOME. Lee was invited to confer the Priesthood upon Max during Priesthood and Sammie, Taylor, Christine, and I were present as well. Max was excited, but humble and Lee gave a wonderful, thoughtful blessing along with the ordination.
As we were walking out of the chapel after Relief Society, I saw Lee speaking with the Bishop's counselor who schedules Sacrament meeting speakers, and when they smiled and waved me over, I knew I was in trouble. At least I have a month to prepare for which I am grateful. You can see my invitation letter below.
We spoke with our son's family after church and took a lovely afternoon nap after that. We had invited a missionary threesome of Elders Bennett, Gamil, and Wairepo to dinner, and invited the Hannans as well. We served sweet and sour chicken over rice, a fruit plate and a veggie plate with ice cream bars for dessert. I also baked the potatoes I'll be using to make my own hash browns for funeral potatoes for Tuesday night leavers dinner.
It was a great weekend, but went too quickly! The Carters drove home after church meetings in Whyalla Sunday. It's transfer week! The Goodrichs are training the Hannans beginning Monday.



No comments:
Post a Comment