Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Vanna, Papa's Name Badge and a Baptism (wk ending 17 Aug 2014).

It's Monday again! Lee stayed home in the morning to let the plumber in to install the new heater. Although the guy was still here at lunch, he finished before we got home at 5. It was so nice to come home to a warm house! FINALLY!

Vanna aka Papa and the new heater.

I received a call from the ward mission leader to give a talk at the baptism Saturday at 2:00. I am organizing refreshments afterward.

There were missionaries in and out of the office and it's always a pleasure to see them each week! President Carter came in briefly, so I grabbed him for signatures. He decided to revise some info and layout on the afore mentioned 'project' and I'm trying not to stress as I contemplate the HOW of it with my extremely limited Excel skills!

Tuesday I worked on revising the 'project' all day long after the morning spiritual thought by Sister White. She talked about the conditions in the world, wars, calamities, etc and she ended by saying "we need not fear" if we follow the scriptures and the prophets. Elders White and Goodrich took the lawn mower, whipper snipper, and clippers to do yard work at various flats, not returning until 5. Lee went to the near and far bike shops, worked on child protection forms, and researched the GPS tracking service we have for the Alice Springs Elders who go out bush.

Lee is in the post office every single day, but Tuesday there was a trainee at the counter. He asked Lee to sign for a package after asking his name and Lee just pointed to his name badge rather than trying to spell it out for the guy. When Lee looked down to sign in the box, the guy had printed J. Christ. Take a good look at the badge in the picture below and you'll smile too.....or cry when you realize that the guy doesn't recognize the name of Jesus Christ.


 While Lee and I were home for lunch Wednesday, Sister Carter came into the office all excited and told Sister Goodrich about her gift idea for the missionaries for Christmas.  1)  She wants us to download the bible videos from LDS.org and put them on DVD and make 200 copies. Sounds simple enough (to people who know HOW) but Sister Goodrich and I both are dying! Sister Salazar, please COME BACK! We browsed LDS.org but are no closer to knowing how it's done than before. Hopefully the new couple will bring some technological help into the office.

I am happy to learn new things, but there isn't anyone around to sit down and teach me, so I grab who ever walks by (poor Elder Bingham)....and they end up fixing the problem in the moment rather than show ME how to do it for the next time I need a fix. Plus, in all honesty, I need to DO it a few times before it sticks in my brain.

We, I mean I, since Sister Goodrich goes home in November, started fretting about the probable upcoming assignment to do the 2) Christmas DVDs and we have no clue how to do that either. But the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back was in the late afternoon when President came over to the office with 3) a new project in mind, and on top of the other two things, with memories of my most recent time consuming project, it was all I could do not to wail out loud! No sugar coating here....I held back tears but I don't know how!

In English class we covered Talking About the Weather and reviewed Sharing our Feelings. Danny was the only one in attendance since Christina had to work and Sammie, Max, and Taylor had their baptismal interviews that night.

Thursday, Lee and I went to the Temple for the 11:30 session. Elder Bingham had mentioned it would be awesome for us to go when their district attended, so we arranged for Goodrichs to cover for us. We were back to the office by 2:00 but I left again later to prepare a simple talk on the Holy Ghost for Saturday.

Friday the White and Goodrichs were out all day. It was quiet so I was able to get a lot accomplished. Lee left at 7:00 am to take the Carters and the Lees (temple president and wife) to the airport for the NT district conference in Alice Springs. They will be back Monday. Next week is transfer planning already! Lee washed President's car and our van in the afternoon. That night I made banana bread and no bake cookies for Saturday baptism refreshments.

We woke up to clouds for the first time in two weeks threatening Lee's wash job on the van.
Talked to our daughters and families by FaceTime and with my dad before regular Saturday household chores.

Saturday was a beautiful day! Sammie, Max, and Taylor were baptized at the Firle ward at 2:00 pm. They were radiantly beautiful in their white baptismal clothes and very very happy.
Each one chose a speaker so Christina spoke on Faith, a ward member friend spoke about baptism, and I spoke about the Holy Ghost. Elder Bingham baptized Max and Sammie, and Elder Fepulea'i baptized Taylor, then Sunday Elder Fepulea'i confirmed Max and Sammie and Elder Bingham confirmed Taylor. Max, Sammie, and Taylor all three bore the sweetest, most humble, sincere testimonies that were just pure joy to hear and feel. The ward and senior missionaries really came through with refreshments for social time afterward. No one wanted to leave after feeling the wonderful spirit of the ordinance and meeting. Beautiful day!







We missed phone calls from Prospect and Mt Gambier missionaries, so we returned those calls once we arrived back to the flat.

Sunday after the confirmations and sacrament, the topic was service. Three sisters spoke, two from our ward, and the last speaker was a recently returned missionary from the Prospect ward who served in New Zealand. English class was the same as Wednesday.

Lee did a lesson after the church meeting block with the Elders and we had a good rest once we talked with our son and family by FaceTime and then Lee got off of the phone with the Alice Springs zone leader. I made chicken Alfredo rigatoni for dinner after naps. It was a lovely Sabbath day! It's week 5 already...transfers are the week after that!
 
This was greeting Papa next door to Sammie, Max and Taylor's house.





No comments:

Post a Comment