Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Mission Countdown, Cherries and Singing Christmas Carols (wk ending 14 Dec 2014).

I was greeted on my computer by a mission countdown in weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds until 8 Jan, our release date. I think the assistants did it, but no one confessed Monday morning.



Elder White gave the spiritual thought from Neal A. Maxwell's book on 'not running faster than we have strength' especially as seniors. This sparked some good discussion.

I baked pumpkin/choc chip bread for the missionaries to enjoy on pday to use the last can of pumpkin Sister Goodrich gave me when she left. Canned pumpkin is not sold here and I have missed it. A type of squash is often used in place of pumpkin in soups and is also prepared roasted, like potatoes. Pumpkin pie is not something Australians generally eat, especially since they don't celebrate a Thanksgiving holiday.

Sister Hannan and I were able to work just a bit together Monday, amid projects. We requested return travel for the missionaries leaving 10 Februrary, knowing this is really late as it's usually done 3-6 months before the release date. The rest of the day, Sister Hannan spent making a gift tag Sister Carter saw on Pinterest while I assembled the gift packets for Darwin and Alice Springs missionaries. Included were the Christmas DVD, 2014 Mormon Messages, Bible videos from lds.org on DVD, the previously mentioned scripture cards, attached to a red stocking full of candy, a highlighter, a ZAAM ink pen, and tied with beautiful wire edged ribbon bow with a cute poem/tag. We only have another 100 to assemble once Sister Carter returns.

I made calorie/fat free (not!) homemade macaroni and cheese and Lee said it was a 10! I thought it was a 12 because it tasted sooooooooo good and was the right color so it had eye appeal (I used the last of the sharp block we bought at Costco for the cheeseball) and we had leftovers for lunch during the week.

Tuesday we trained. Lee took the Carters to the airport first thing since they are off to Alice and Darwin for their Christmas celebrations and zone conferences.

Tuesday night we met other ward members at a rest home to sing Christmas carols. Last year there were VERY few who attended, so Lee challenged the seniors to support the event. The assistants and another companionship joined the 8 seniors for a total of approx 25 to sing for 40 minutes. The residents seemed to enjoy it and everyone mixed and mingled with them after the singing before refreshments were served.

Wednesday was Firle Zone conference so missionaries came by the office before and after. Whites are training the Grays to replace them in housing and Smiths start training next Monday. Sister Smith replaces Sister Hannan and Elder Smith replaces Elder Sheffield. It could be a gong show in the office Monday with the 10 of us working plus the assistants doing their Monday call in reports!

Sister Hannan was trained Tuesday and Wednesday on making the photo board cards/pictures and also leaver letters and took all day both days with interruptions, distractions etc. Sister Hannan has a leg up because she is so computer wise already...miles ahead of where I was at this point.

Thursday we made leavers packets, discussed google calendar, and the baptism tracker. We also sent the visa extension paperwork to the Philippines for a police check, and started the same procedure for an American Elder. I'm having Sister Hannan take the lead since I won't be here for most of the process of this one. Lee picked up bikes and hauled Christmas packages that are starting to arrive for the missionaries.

We dropped off Lou and Petra's gift after work Thursday night, knowing they wouldn't be home, and texted afterward that it was at their front door. I made a Christmas table runner and really struggled with the poor performance of my sewing machine. It is made for basic sewing only and balked when I tried to do the free motion machine quilting.....frustrating to say the least! On the way home, Elders called from Craigmore, an hour distance away or more at that hour, that they had locked their keys in the car. Lee dropped me at the flat and went to the office to try to unlock it remotely over the phone (the elders said they had heard it would work so they gave it a try). After discussion, Lee agreed to meet them Friday morning instead of making the trip Thursday night.



Friday morning Lee made the two hour trip after a call to the states about car insurance. He shopped. The Whites were gone in the morning and the Hannans were gone in the afternoon to Whyalla where they both grew up and still have family. They will be celebrating Christmas this weekend since we are so busy on the actual holiday.

Saturday Lee left by 7:30 with the Whites to pick the most beautiful cherries in the Adelaide hills. You make a booking to even be allowed on the premises, pay 5.00 ( for all the cherries you can eat) and haul home the beautiful bounty! Sister White made a cherry tart last weekend to share. Yummy!



We talked to the family as usual Saturday and once Lee returned from the cherry orchard, we started working at our flat. Lee did exterior windows and pressure washed the whole house while I scrubbed the showers and did the inside windows, as well as vacuumed and dusted under, behind, and around the bed, dressers, etc. Lee cleaned the laundry room cupboard and I made more cheeseball. We didn't attend the ward barbecue, but went out for ice cream after dinner and delivering the Carter's Christmas gift to the mission home for them to find when they get back Monday night.

Found this red back spider in garage today. Its very poisonous. Can kill a baby or make someone very sick.

Sunday the topic was service in Sacrament meeting talks. The assistants asked if they could come for lunch and bring two other missionaries. We scrambled and added to our leftovers and managed lunch of flour tortillas, taco meat, shredded cheese, tomatoes, green chilis, and strawberries and beautiful cherries. We took our Tim Tam stash from the freezer for dessert. They were grateful and gone by 1:00 since they were singing in the Morialta ward.

We just laid down to nap and were awakened by the Tennant Creek Elders calling to tell us they hit a kangaroo just a mile from their home, but their windshield is busted out and the bonnet was dented. I was able to go back to sleep and died for one hour!

The Christmas devotional was wonderful as always, although there was a very small crowd actually at the church. Many watched it at home or earlier on the internet since it really happened last week and was rebroadcast to us on 14 Dec. I enjoyed the choir and orchestra and love hearing from our leaders, especially about CHRISTmas. You can watch the broadcast HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment