The shredded coconut you buy in the grocery store is not
sweetened....which is fine, it's just unexpected. I remember searching
high and low for unsweetened coconut in my homemade granola making days,
and I could only find it at health food stores.
FYI in Australia, Father's Day is Sunday, September 1st. Mothers Day is in May.
It is not required to use crosswalks, at least not here in Mount Gambier. In fact, I haven't seen but very few crosswalks and people cross the street whenever and wherever they please.
Rain water tanks are very common. The lady we visited today had two tanks, a 1000 and an 850 liter (?) and all household use water, except for the toilet water, is used from the rain water tanks. For back up, they have a bore with a pump (sounds like a well?) Once she gets the most recently installed tank filled by the rain, she won't need to use the bore water at all with just one person in the house.
FYI in Australia, Father's Day is Sunday, September 1st. Mothers Day is in May.
It is not required to use crosswalks, at least not here in Mount Gambier. In fact, I haven't seen but very few crosswalks and people cross the street whenever and wherever they please.
Rain water tanks are very common. The lady we visited today had two tanks, a 1000 and an 850 liter (?) and all household use water, except for the toilet water, is used from the rain water tanks. For back up, they have a bore with a pump (sounds like a well?) Once she gets the most recently installed tank filled by the rain, she won't need to use the bore water at all with just one person in the house.
There are some interesting
city/town names...we went to Tantanoola today, then there is Kalangadoo,
Nangwarry, Naracoorte, and Warnambool to name just a few close by.
There aren't public restrooms inside businesses, but they are in various locations in the town. The buildings resemble our rest area restrooms, marked with blue street signs that say PUBLIC TOILETS.
We were given incorrect information about Mount Gambier being famous for opal mining. Not true.
There aren't public restrooms inside businesses, but they are in various locations in the town. The buildings resemble our rest area restrooms, marked with blue street signs that say PUBLIC TOILETS.
We were given incorrect information about Mount Gambier being famous for opal mining. Not true.
Since
we arrived in Australia 5 weeks ago, we have had a terrible time with
lint on our clothes....and I couldn't understand WHY the problem. I am
so thankful that I stuffed in the suitcase a lint roller because we have
literally used it up! Anyway, I think the reason is the underdeveloped
lint systems in the washer and dryers.
When you go to the grocery store or any other store like Target etc, they don't provide bags to carry your purchased items from the store. Customers use fabric carry bags that they bring in with them or purchase heavy duty plastic carry bags for .15 each. We hand the grocery clerk our bags as we approach the check stand and she loads items as items are scanned and then we place them into the trolley for transport to the car.
When you go to the grocery store or any other store like Target etc, they don't provide bags to carry your purchased items from the store. Customers use fabric carry bags that they bring in with them or purchase heavy duty plastic carry bags for .15 each. We hand the grocery clerk our bags as we approach the check stand and she loads items as items are scanned and then we place them into the trolley for transport to the car.
It is common for the hostess to fill your plate for you instead of serving yourself at the dinner table. I will admit, I MUCH prefer
to load my own plate in case of......looks bad or tastes bad or dirty
kitchen or cats everywhere or cook is wiping nose or keeps swiping her
hair out of her eyes or ?? That goes DOUBLE for Lee.
Instead of saying something like " good for you" or " that's great!" They say " good on you."
Most
people have an outdoor clothes line to dry clothes. We used to have one
when I was a kid, and I still remember how good the sheets felt and
smelled after drying outside on the line. I don't see them much in Utah,
but it is quite common here.
There is a parking lot downtown where this is parked on the corner, where people sign up for Australian
military service. Its funny that a sign won't do.



No comments:
Post a Comment