Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sick, a Birthday and a Baptism.

I forgot to mention that a mom and daughter from Mount Gambier came by the office one afternoon last week. The 17 year old had oral surgery the day before and was in great pain. They stopped at the temple to ask for a Priesthood blessing but were referred to the mission office and Lee and Elder White were pleased to oblige. I could tell it was all she could do not to cry out loud with pain but afterward, she was feeling better and able to share that she's decided to serve a mission once she graduates. We enjoyed this family very much while in Mount Gambier and their kindness to us is a treasured memory.

It was a regular Monday, except Elder Goodrich came in sick as a dog. Lee told him " you're welcome" because it sounds like what Lee had last week. Since I knew missionaries would be in and out on p-day, I made a lemon jello cake to celebrate Lee's bday early with everyone. Elder Goodrich had the weekly spiritual thought.

Tuesday was Lee's actual birthday and also Hump Day (halfway) of our mission. Sister Goodrich and I went to the combined Marion and Marion South zone conference to serve and clean up lunch for 35. Missionaries are always so appreciative as were Carters. While we were gone, Lee held down the fort alone in the office until the Whites returned from flat inspections. Elder Goodrich stayed home until we picked him up on the way back as he had a Dr apptointment near Firle at 5:00pm. Since Sister Goodrich was staying until after the Dr. appointment, she kicked us out of the office at 4:30.  I had prepared a favorite casserole for dinner so all we had to do was pop it in the oven when we got home and I did dishes. Happy Birthday!

Wednesday we saw lots of missionaries in the office because there was Firle district meeting in the morning and arrivers training in the afternoon. WE LOVE THESE FINE YOUNG PEOPLE!
Goodrichs stayed home so Elder could recuperate a little and the antibiotics could have a chance to work. I stayed late to finish some last minute copying for President but we turned right around to be to the church by 6:30 pm for our English class. We had a Chinese couple join us for the first time. Lee stayed until he had to duck out for a 7:00 pm mission presidency meeting at the mission home that lasted until 9:40 pm. I walked home after class to hem suit pants for Elder Bush. He went shopping in the vault today because he's lost so much weight that his suit is too big. Lee picked up missionaries at the bus station coming in for Thursday zone meetings. I started to notice a change in my voice, a tightness in my chest, and a tickle in my throat yet I'm the one religiously using hand sanitizer, antibacterial wipes on doorknobs, handles, and computers, or washing hands to avoid catching what's going around in the office!

Lee drove us Thursday for zone conference lunch for Modbury and Elizabeth zones.We served the same menu, pizza, salad, cookies, and bottled water to 40+. It was slow when we got back in the afternoon. Lee was invited to go teaching with the assistants at 4:00 and got home just after I did at 5. President called from the office needing something so we ran back to the office for 30 minutes, then Lee and Elder White went to Barnacle Bills for fish and chips while Sister White and I talked Facebook. The sore throat was getting worse and my voice too, but I still felt ok, just really tired. Elder Goodrich was still feeling poorly. Some sister missionaries dropped by after going to the temple to take care of office business and we LOVE seeing them.



Friday morning Lee took the Carters and the assistants to the airport for travel to Alice Springs and Darwin zone conferences. They will return Tuesday. The morning went by really fast and I stayed home after lunch for a rest. I never could fall sleep so I went back to work at 2. Lee decided to wash President's car, our van, and Goodrich's car. Fridays are slooooooooooow and quiet, and I kept busy but felt draggy. We left promptly at 5 for home, I showered to get warm, we ate dinner and I was in bed by 6 to watch news and relax. I coughed all day and as the day turns into evening, the symptoms worsen. I sound like a frog.

Saturday was the typical laundry/grocery shop day except we watched two sessions of General Conference with a rest in between after talking to the family in the morning. Kacey was working so we missed talking to her. Lee went to the church for the Priesthood session at 6:00 pm.

Sunday (which was still Saturday in Utah) we talked with Brody about his baptism and how he felt. We sent an email last night for him to read it with his mom after the girls are in bed. Logan said it was weird being at our house without us. I adore seeing the cousins all together and wish they could understand at this age just how much they are loved! It touches our hearts (and tear ducts) to know that our whole family was together to support Brody at this important life event.




General Conference was fabulous! All of the messages were excellent and timely. We loved President Monson's message on loving kindness and agree that we can do more in our own sphere to uplift and support with empathy and love, with less judgement and more forgiveness.
If you missed general conference you can get all sessions at lds.org or on  youtube. It is well worth your while to view/listen. We feel blessed to hear words of warning, motivation, encouragement, and instruction from our Prophet and leaders for what's going on in the world in our day! Topics included were obedience, the Atonement, following up, the Resurrection, service, Family History, and many other inspiring messages.

 Until next week..........

No comments:

Post a Comment