Monday, June 16, 2014

Sister Baker, An Upcoming Baptism and Father's Day (wk ending 15 June 2014).

Normal Monday. Lee did the spiritual thought from the new Ensign magazine article about the Atonement, the Sacrament, and the Savior. We started walking again and eating no junk.

Tuesday I got up before walking to put the chicken breasts in the crockpot for Marion zone specialized training lunch. Sister Goodrich and I left the office at 11:00 and got back about 2. We served 8 missionaries and the Carters barbecued chicken sandwiches, salad, chips, water, and Sister Carter made chocolate cake for dessert. It was a beautiful day in Mt. Barker!

A Samoan sister missionary on her pday came to the office at 3 for us to help her with the online application to BYU Hawaii. We worked until almost 5 on it.

Wednesday I was feeling the joy of having the outlook email back in business! That was because I called tech support in SLC again Tuesday morning, and was referred to the Sydney help desk. They had it taken care of in just a few minutes by remote and I am thrilled!

Lee and I picked up Sister Baker at the airport since President Carter was in Arrivers Training until 4. The Carters were to the office shortly after we arrived to meet Sister Baker and she was beat from the journey. President took her into his office for a brief interview and then we took her to Sister Salazar's old flat just a block from the office. It was cold inside so we got the heater going and Elder White brought over a portable heater for her bedroom. She had a few groceries to get started and beautiful flowers from the Carters.

Wednesday night we had Snow, Bolynn, little Emily, Christina and Danny, and Sammie for English class and talked about Ordering at a Restaurant and reviewed Sharing Your Beliefs. Christina met Lee outside before class and said Danny wanted to ask a favor....would Lee please baptize him on July 26th? Danny was extremely humble and Lee was very honored to be asked. We are so happy Danny has chosen to be baptized!

Everyone stayed after English class for a missionary lesson, so we divided up into two groups...one at Danny's level and one for the newer group. The lesson lasted 30 minutes or so and all were invited to church this Sunday.

Thursday Lee went teaching with the assistants again to Sammie, this time her husband participated on Skype from China, and also Sammie's roommate attended. Things went well and they are teaching again Saturday morning.

After walking Thursday morning and before going to the office, I finished hemming Elder Fepulea'i 's temple pants so he could wear them to the 11:30 session.

Thursday night we had a welcome dinner at Caffe Primo with all of the senior missionaries and the Carters for Sister Baker. We picked her up and took her home since she doesn't have a car. It was nice not to cook, but it had been a long day so we were happy to get home!

Sister Goodrich took Sister Baker to Kmart and to get groceries in the morning but it was a lousy, cold, rainy Friday. Lee was in and out of the office after taking Carters to the airport first thing that morning, as they are traveling to Alice Springs and. Darwin. I walked to the office under an umbrella since it was pouring and I never did get warmed up although there were a few sun breaks in the afternoon. We went to the temple Friday night and came out to a beautiful full moon shining through breaks in the cloud cover in the dark sky....onn Friday the 13th!

Fridays are always quiet and we didn't have any missionaries come by the office other than the assistants, but we see them often.We talked to several missionaries on the phone though.....with complaints of flu, pink eye, tooth aches, dead car batteries, flat tires, etc.

Saturday morning Lee went teaching after grocery shopping with the assistants again to Sammie at 10. We did some errands in the afternoon and Sister Carter called about a couple of missionaries with health issues. We sent one to emergency and checked on the other since Carters are in Darwin. The other ended up going to emergency too.

Saturday night we took Sister Baker with us to the stake High Priest Group meeting and it was a lovely dinner with approximately 150 in attendance. Harry and Eila invited us to join them at their table along with the Whites and Sister Baker. We watched a couple of I'm a Mormon video clips and a group of six men harmonized two hymns beautifully after dinner. The final speaker was President Korte before everyone pitched in putting away tables and chairs etc.

Sunday the Sacrament meeting talks were about being/becoming disciples of Christ. For English class we had Leo, Christina and Danny, and Joy came too, and a man from Argentina named Alberto attended for the first time. We covered Using Public Transit and reviewed Going to a Restaurant.

It's Fathers Day in the USA and Lee opened his package last week from home. There is one package still on the way.  Happy Father's Day to my dad, Freddie Watson!

I received word that my Uncle Dub passed away in Oregon and his funeral service was Friday. I haven't been in contact since they migrated to Utah several years ago, and then relocated back to Oregon about the same time we moved to Utah. Even so, contact was sparse before that. His wife is my mother's older sister and they had three children, and now there are grandchildren and great grandchildren. 

I'm sad for the part I played in losing touch over the years.....not sure why it happened but I have fond memories of going to Aunt Betty and Uncle Dub's house in California and them coming to Oregon when I was a kid. Uncle Dub is in my first memory of making homemade strawberry ice cream and "getting" to help turn the crank on the ice cream maker. My cousin taught me to ride a bike.

I'm pleased that Shelby keeps in contact with a couple of my cousins kids. Isn't Facebook amazing?! 
Until next time.......


No comments:

Post a Comment