Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Snickerdoodles, a Haircut and Barnacle Bills (wk ending 1 June 2014).

Monday was my birthday in Australia, although I mentioned previously, we began celebrating last weekend. We had fabulous chocolate cake and snickerdoodle cookies for missionaries that came by the office on p-day and I received a card from the Whites and a gift from the Carters. I had lots of Facebook greetings and it was a totally fun day which included FaceTime from the kids, grandkids, and my dad.  The thing is, since Tuesday HERE was still Monday in the USA, I received happy birthdays on Tuesday too.
 
 

Surprisingly, I did manage to get a little work done Monday and June travel is organized for the Carters. Late morning I got a call asking if I could give a haircut after lunch and we said sure. Elder Dos Santos from Brisbane and Elder Cook from Dallas Texas came over and it didn't take long. Lee and Elder Cook just watched and gave Elder Dos Santos grief by saying things like oops or no worries, it'll look fine in a couple of weeks etc.


Christina and Joy were not impressed with the A&W Root beer floats Monday night. Danny liked it okay and I LOVED it. Joy brought a card from the family and a small thoughtful gift and they supplied the ice cream.

Tuesday, President and the assistants were in his private office from 11 am -5 pm organizing transfers. Lee brought in lunch for them about 1. We originally thought we would be getting 10 new missionaries but we were down to only 4 with confirmed travel. We were waiting to hear about the 1 USA and 2 Canadians but everyone else was delayed because they don't have their Visas. We did find out we are getting another senior couple 10 Nov for 23 months from Pleasant Grove, Utah.

It started raining Monday night and continued most of Tuesday.

Wednesday we woke up to torrential rain. Lee went to the office early to call insurance in the USA again. It's hard to get the right person in the right department and ask the right questions. When I got into the office, we had news that the 2 Canadians and 1 USA missionaries ARE coming so we are getting 7 missionaries for sure! That means President and the assistants will have to revamp what they did yesterday.

I had a late morning hair appointment, grabbed lunch at home afterward and was back to the office by 1. The afternoon was a bit slow and it's cooling down. I worked on editing Best Practices for Thursday printing.

English class was Christina and Danny, Emily and Kevin, Snow, Boalin, and their daughter Emily and Auntie Lee. We reviewed asking for directions and getting something fixed. 

The assistants arrived for a missionary lesson afterward with Danny and Christina and we had just begun when Lay, Ryan and their mom Den came in. It was a good lesson and Christina shared a personal story as follows. At last weeks lesson on prayer, Christina mentioned that she had never prayed for her business and didn't know if it was okay. Lee encouraged her to be specific in her prayers and that she could and should pray for her business and everything else in her life. With this week being so cold and rainy, she expected sales to be down at the ice cream shop, but that hasn't happened at all, which she attributes totally to her prayers. She was happy and smiling as she related this in front of Lay, Ryan, and Den.

The missionaries taught a lesson on the reality of Jesus Christ and touched on the ways Jesus helps us. After Christina's story, Ryan related a concern about their exporting business and said he was going to pray for help like she did. I told them money might not rain down in buckets, but Ryan might get a new idea on how to market, or how to resolve an issue he is currently facing.

The Elders challenged the younger brother Lay to THINK this week how/if Jesus could help him in HIS life (more school concerns than business) and Ryan said the sweetest closing prayer. In it, he prayed for his mom, who has some form of arthritis and has been in great pain with the change in the weather. 

After the closing prayer, Lee explained about blessing the sick and asked if she would like a Priesthood blessing, and they all enthusiastically agreed. It really was a tender experience meeting with these two families and we watch in awe as they progress in the gospel.

Thursday morning went quickly and we had arranged to meet Elder Fepulea'i and companions at the temple after they finished at 11:30 so they could follow us to Barnacle Bills, his choice for lunch. We took some wrapped snickerdoodle cookies I had saved in the freezer for his birthday
(same birthday as mine) with a card and we had a great time! Good Elders!



After lunch, I recorded last week's convert baptisms in the computer and made new member letters that are sent from President Carter. Transfers were finalized and I got the sheet of logistics to book travel.

Lee was out the door before 7:00 am Friday to get an Elder going home to the airport. It's hard to see a missionary leave the mission early, and although I realize there are various reasons why, it makes me sad every time.

Lee did a driving lesson/evaluation when he got back to the office, then took a set of missionaries back home to their area. He went teaching with the assistants again too. Run Run Run!

I booked transfer travel and it took all morning to get organized. President and the assistants finished their Zion Rescue articles so I can print those first thing Monday. 

We went to the temple Friday night and Harry and Eila both mentioned they had heard from Sister Salazar by email. After two months, we still miss her!

Saturday was wet all day. Lee shopped while I cleaned. We talked to all of the kids and Freddie. We did laundry, napped, and I did some food prep for leavers and arrivers dinners this coming week. I gave Lee a haircut after he watched Oregon State baseball win their game. I made taco salad for dinner. Nice, mostly relaxing day.

Sunday was fast Sunday and I LOVE fast and testimony meetings!

We had a restful afternoon although we both had slight headaches. I made meatloaf and baked potatoes (still celebrating my birthday since that is my favorite meal) for dinner and we went to the Marion stake missionary fireside. Recent converts shared their stories and bore their testimonies and it is always a spiritual treat to attend. The young single adults sang a medley of Army of Helaman and As sisters in Zion, and it is one of my favorites! Wonderful end to the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment